Monday, August 22, 2011

Tessa's Family Interview

Tessa's Large Family of Seven




Tell us a little bit about you and your family
 A bit about us..... I'm a 37 year old single mom of my 6. I do home health occupational therapy. I had my oldest 2 days before I turned 22 and my last at 36. I've had 3 angels that watch out over us. Allie is my oldest at 15 1/2 and is ready to start driving. She is in color guard and loves reading. Ryan is 14 and is my serious child, though he likes to cut up and have fun. Ryan loves to be sarcastic and a smartalic. Alexander is 12 and there isn't anything that boy can't do. He is the proverbial lady's man. Dylan is 10 and as smart as a tack. He's a very loving (and stubborn!) child. Every morning before getting out of the van at school, he has to kiss the two littles and me about 3 or 4 times each and tell us that he loves us. I smile every morning because he does it without fail. Noah is almost 4 and the first child between me and my 2nd husband. He is fearless and smart and loving. He can be a pill but I wouldn't have him any other way. Samantha is my rainbow baby at 19 months old. She is very much a momma's girl and her favorite thing right now is to climb and get into everything. We like to watch movies and play video games together, as well as go to the park and play. I think all of my children would live in the water if I would let them as they all love swimming! These 6 kids are my whole world. I love them with all my heart and I can't imagine my life without even one of them. I had my tubes tied last year because I was scared to death of the idea of having any more children as a single parent but now that I'm back out in the dating world, I'm finding that maybe I tied them a little too soon. ;)

How many children do you have?

 I have 6 children. 2 girls and 4 boys


What made you choose to have a large family?

I've always loved children and always dreamed of having a large family. I never planned on having a small family. I thought I was done at 4, but God had other plans so I have 6. :)


How do you think most people view large families?

 I think most people view large families as freak shows nowadays. It was nothing for families to have 10 or 12 kids (and many times more) in the days when this country was more farming than industry or technology. Now if you have more than 2 or 3, you either know nothing about birth control or you're crazy for having so many. And people have no filters when it comes to criticizing large families.


How did you extended family react to your choice?

My immediate and extended family were not in favor of me having such a large family. There has been a LOT of criticism and little support. They love my kids but aren't as involved as one would like to think they would be. I've gotten to where I try to stay away from family functions because it is easier than feeling the judging eyes and tacky comments.


Having older kids and younger kids, what do you think has gotten

easier over the years?

What has gotten easier? Hmmmm. I'm a lot more tolerant of things I wasn't before, like toy guns and wrestling in the house. Getting out the door in the mornings to get everyone to school and daycare is getting easier as we settle into a natural routine.


What has been your biggest struggle?
The biggest struggle has to be the difference in rules between my home and dads' homes. There is a lot of discord right now because I get tofrequently be the bad guy and enforce the rules, whereas dad gets to be the fun parent. You know no rules and doesn't believe in children having chores. I spend a lot of time feeling like I am more maid than mother.

What is the best thing about your family?

 The best thing about my family.... it is hard to pick what exactly is the best. I love watching them interact with each other (okay, except for the fighting!). They all have their own personalities and quirks. I love the fact that if you are in a bad mood, you can get a hug and a kiss from any of them and everything is right with the world again. I love watching them succeed and they are all so smart.




No comments:

Post a Comment