Friday, October 14, 2011

Our crazy SPD family

                       


                            Our Crazy SPD (Sensory Processing disorder) Family


What is sensory processing disorder? Well, simply put it’s the brains inability to process information coming in from the senses. Pretty simple to understand right? I like to describe it as having senses that are either over active or under active.  

I have been dealing with SPD for my whole life, but just thought I was weird until six years ago. That’s when my daughter was diagnosed. After I learned about the symptoms and what SPD looks like I realized most of my children have it. Sensory processing is actually fairly common. I find most people have at least one sense that is a little off. It’s our differences that make us special.

Today I’m going to share with everyone my families little quarks. They my sound funny (No fear we laugh about it).


My biggest problem with SPD is my auditory filtering issues. I have very sensitive hearing and I can’t filter out background noises. Did you know cell phone towers let off the slightest hum? No, well no fear most people don’t, but I do. I can’t have a fan going or I can’t focus on a television show or reading. It’s kind of cool because I can hear three conversations at once and I can hear a clock ticking three rooms away. Is that considered a super power?

Most of my kids and I have a food texture issue. I love the flavor of onions, but will only eat them on a burger. It’s the whole textures mixing, just thinking about it sends a shiver down my spine. I hate potatoes, but love French fries. My daughter gets upset if we put anything sticky, like jelly, or chocolate syrup on her food.  My kids and I are such picky eaters we will stop and eat before going to a function that serves a meal, just incase we won’t eat there. Most of my fiends now tell me their menu beforehand.

One of our more beneficial traits is our under sensitivity to pain. Let’s just say my dentist loves me!  It can be dangerous because if one of them gets hurt hey don’t always know it. It’s cool in that when learning to ride a bike there’s really no fear of falling. One Easter Janelle fell and needed staples in her head. She didn’t get anything to numb the cut and she didn’t even flinch.

Smells!!!! This isn’t something I have a problem with, but my son does big time. If we cook certain foods he’ll break down in tears. He acts like they literally hurt him! I feel so bad because there isn’t anything we can do to rid the world of smells he finds offensive.

This is just a small sampling of the things that affect us as a sensory family. I hope this makes other similar families to know they are not alone. There are a lot of us families that have to buy certain clothes so they don’t feel, as Leanna says too itchy, tight, or annoying. A lot f understand how chewing on pencils can be soothing, or can’t walk into a Chinese restaurant.

1 comment: