Thursday, February 26, 2015

My baby boy can drive



I'm not sure how this happened, but my baby boy can drive now. He could have gotten his permit last year, but he held out until now. This is the last time I can delude myself into thinking he's still semi a little boy. I mean yes he's growing a mustache, but until he came home with that little piece of freedom in his hand I was still in denial. 

Yesterday morning I sent my little boy to school. His father picked him up and together they went to the DMV (I wasn't invited something about crying at these things was their reason for the exclusion). I pictured him in that little cubicle taking his test, thinking hard about the answers. I saw him reading the letters off the eye chart, even if I wasn't there. Dave came home and he didn't have David with him. He told me he'd dropped David off with his friends, he'd passed, and they'd gone to McDonald's to celebrate. THAT'S IT MCDONALD'S!!!! My baby boy is able to get behind the wheel and you celebrate with McDonald's? Shouldn't we have had cake or ice cream? I'm sure balloons should have been involved, but nothing. He didn't even come home. 
I got over the lack of celebration, but now I have all these new parental fears. Will he be safe? Will he always wear his seat belt and not drink and drive? Where will he go and how far will he travel from home? I'm so unprepared for this. I sit here now thinking of all the things he and I need to talk to him about. I'm so not ready for this. I know I have to let go, but why now? Why does he have to drive anyway? Can't everyone see he's still my sweet little prince. He's not ready for this....yes HE is it's me that's not.

Someone assure me everything is going to be alright..... That I will be alright with this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment