Sunday, September 11, 2011

My September 11th a day to celebrate a day to mourn.

                                               
I debated doing the 9/11 memorial post that I know everyone will be doing today and then I changed my mind. As I sat thinking about September 11th it was easy to remember the good things that happened on that day for me and so many others. A group of madmen chose to make September 11th a day we remember those we lost, God chose September 11th to be my daughters birthday and she was born on my tenth wedding anniversary.

On September 11th 1999, I married my husband. It was a beautiful day. It rained a little in the morning, but by the time we said our vows the sun was shining vibrantly. It has never rained here on September 11th since. fast forward four years, my third baby was due September 11th, 2003. She decided to come a few days early though. On our tenth wedding anniversary we were blessed with our sixth child.

On September 11th, 2001 I was nine months pregnant and Dave had a truck driving job. He would be on the road all day with no way for me to contact him. I won't get into all the details of that day since I have replayed that story over and over every time someone asks where were you September 11th. Sometimes I want to say Getting married, Crying my eyes out watching the towers go down, expecting a baby, and giving birth. To me September 11th is not one day set aside to mourn. It has so many more happy moments than sad ones. It's both a day to celebrate and mourn for us.

I'll never forget the eeriness of looking up  and not seeing a plane in the clear sky or the people lost in the attacks. I'll never forget the happiness in the faces of the firemen and police some of which just came back from volunteering at ground zero as they delivered my baby (she was born real fast) just two weeks after 9/11. I'll never forget the tears that rolled down my face as I said I do or my daughters first cry ten years later.

I am not alone, there are a lot of people who to them 9/11 is also a day to celebrate. It reminds me of people born on December 7th in the forties and fifties, they had the same problem born on a day of sadness. Does that mean they never celebrated their birthdays, anniversaries, or other special occasions? No, they celebrated because terrorist can't take our joy, our spirits, and our happiness. They can temperaraly cause us to fall to our knees, but like a prize fighter we got back up. In the words of Charlie Daniels "This lady may have stumbled, but she ain't ever fell. And if our enemies don't believe that, they can all go straight to hell.We're gonna put her feet back on the ground with righteousness and then, God bless America again."


So today I will remember, I'll light a candle and listen to CNN rehash the events of 9/11. Then I'll look at my baby girl and smile. I glance over at my husband and remember one of the happiest days of my life. Yes, I'll always remember 9/11, but I refuse to only remember with tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment